I forgot to mention that Aloria has also been learning sign language...Becky, you would be proud! We wanted to teach her some basic signs so that she would feel less frustrated when trying to communicate her wants. This was especially important at the dinner table when she started screaming at us when she wanted more food or something to drink...or anything at all since she wasn't into pointing yet.
We started a couple of months before she turned one. She can now sign, "more," "drink," "all done," and the most important one, "please." At the table when she wants more to eat, she will use both "more" and "please" interchangibly, or else both together. "Drink" was a little more difficult for her to grasp. She got the motion okay, but wasn't exactly sure what it was supposed to be used for. Sometimes she uses it when she wants her bear or something out of reach. Either way it's better then screaming...but to get her to understand that one, I would just bring her her water cup whether she was wanting that or not. I think she's got the meaning now :-)
I'm not sure what we'll teach her next, but I'm thinking it will probably be "thank you" and then something to do with "pee" and "poo." That way, when it's time to potty train her she will be able to communicate that she has gone, or better yet, hasn't gone yet, but needs to. Wouldn't that be great! If the sign for going to the bathroom is too difficult (haven't looked it up yet), we'll make something up...the point is take away as much frustration as possible when she tries to communicate. My mother in law was a little worried, at first, that teaching her sign language would keep her from wanting to talk, but I don't think it is. She babbles just as much as any other toddler I've seen at her age...and we always say the word with the sign, so I'm sure she'll try and say it soon enough. We always make a big fuss when she tries to say a word. Today she tried to say "bear" again and "ball." All in all, I really think signing is making her more confident... :-)
The other thing I forgot to mention is that she is learning to use a fork (I have small metal three prong orduerve (totally making up the spelling) forks that are fairly blunt that I let her use)...and as long as the food isn't too mushy, she CAN use it! So exciting. She can successfully stab and get in her mouth pieces of cantelope, peaches, green beens and carrots...things like that. It's fun to watch her because she doesn't stab at her plate aimlessly. She really gets methodical about it...she places her fork over the piece she wants and then just lets it hover there as she stares it down...then she'll slowly lower it to the center of what she wants and stab it very slowly, then pick it up with a smile and in the mouth it goes. :-) She's not so good with a spoon...at all! But I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon...whenever I decide to take her outside to eat so she can get her mess on the cement and not on the carpet. Spoon food is a little harder to clean...bleh.
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is really cool. I'll have to remember that for someday when I'm around other people's kids :)
Hey Ness! I'm so proud of you for teaching Aloria sign language! Tell your mom-in-law she has nothing to worry about. Research shows that teaching hearing babies sign language actually leads to better brain development, and doesn't at all hinder spoken language development. The sign deaf people use for anything related to bathroom, "i hafta pee now," etc. is the sign for "toilet." Look that one up (or call me if you can't find it. It's pretty simple to explain!) and it should work well. I'm so excited and proud!! I love you!
~becky
yay for sign language! I started doing the sign for "toilet" whenever I go to the bathroom around her so that she starts connecting them. You just make a fist, put your thumb between your index and middle fingers and twist your hand. Lavinia loves that she can just shake her hands to say "all done" and i'll get her out of her chair.
Post a Comment