Wednesday, November 28, 2007

No more pacifier :-(

These pictures were back in October, before the real cold hit...but they reminded me of our "no pacifier, except in bed, rule," just put into effect a couple of days ago. I sort of casually mentioned to Aaron that I thought Aloria was using her pacifier more then normal and that I thought she should only have it in bed, especially since she's starting to babble more ...and it's hard to understand babble with something in your mouth, let alone when it's empty.
I should be careful what I "casually" mention to my husband. He was like, "ok," he got up and took it out of her mouth right then and there. I was sort of taken back. I express a lot of things I don't actually intend on doing right away...and for some reason I thought I had to be mentally prepared for this momentous, potentially tantrumous, situation. She was fine at first...and then asked us for it. Aaron was all over it! He said very nicely to her, "Sure, honey, you can have your pacifier, but only when you're in bed." He picked her up and put her in her crib where she happily put it in her mouth and then wanted out. "Okay, Aloria, you can get out, but you have to put your pacifier down." ...it was here she seemed confused. So, she took it out, cried a bit until we distracted her, and then asked for it again. Aaron said, "sure, honey, you can have it," and once again put her in her crib. Within a day and a half she had the new system down. What is funny to me is that she knows the system well enough to still use it to her benefit. She'll ask for her pacifier, I put her in her crib and she'll lay down with it for a minute or two, take it out, and then ask to get up. It's like she knows she can't have it outside her crib, but she really needs a fix to last her until her next nap time. She still has her bear, though...I don't care too much how long she wants to drag that thing around. We all need a little comfort close to us now and again.

3 comments:

jacquelyn said...

that is funny, way to go aaron !gwen

Emily said...

That is so cute! I'll have to remember that one.

Unknown said...

she's so cute!!! Good job with the pacifier! They can impede language development if they're used outside bed. Lavinia knows the same rule, but her "i'm doing something I'm not supposed to" face is SO CUTE when she gets a hold of her pacifier and it's not bed time.

Apparently having a security object (like her bear) is good for them, but I was just way too lazy to let vinnie have one. I didn't want to deal with the crying if we lost it or the being grossed out if it got dirty. So, good job listening to the experts and not being lazy:)