I forgot to mention that this trip to Cali was the first time Aloria had seen her cousins (my cousin's children, actually) and my side of the family in about 9 months. Physical touch really is not her love language, but being a toddler, everyone wants to immediately rush up to her, pat her head, tell her how cute she was, get in her face asking for hugs and kisses, etc...which is the absolutely worse way to approach her. She would much rather be ignored to start off with.
So as soon as we arrived at Nani's house, I yelled out a quick warning to my cousins (who were all so excited to see her). "Just give her minute. I know it sounds wierd, but if you want her to like you, don't touch her or get in her face...just leave her alone for a little bit, and she'll be fine."
I was so impressed with them, because they all complied with the utmost amount of patience which paid off long before I thought it would. I brought her into the kitchen for a snack. The cousins sat around the table as well, and chatted away at her. Within 10 minutes, tops, Aloria was chasing Brea around the house, and all three were taking her by the hand and leading her up the stairs to play. I hardly saw her for the rest of the day, she was so well cared for, haha. I truly had a vaccation with such wonderful and willing baby-sitters.
So as soon as we arrived at Nani's house, I yelled out a quick warning to my cousins (who were all so excited to see her). "Just give her minute. I know it sounds wierd, but if you want her to like you, don't touch her or get in her face...just leave her alone for a little bit, and she'll be fine."
I was so impressed with them, because they all complied with the utmost amount of patience which paid off long before I thought it would. I brought her into the kitchen for a snack. The cousins sat around the table as well, and chatted away at her. Within 10 minutes, tops, Aloria was chasing Brea around the house, and all three were taking her by the hand and leading her up the stairs to play. I hardly saw her for the rest of the day, she was so well cared for, haha. I truly had a vaccation with such wonderful and willing baby-sitters.


No comments:
Post a Comment