Tuesday, February 20, 2007

So very very sick!


Aloria was sick for the first time this last weekend. She may have had the sniffles or something of that nature before, but this was her first bonified illness. She caught a cold virus from the kids I'm baby-sitting.
I figured something was wrong when she woke up FIVE times before 2 am Wednesday night. She wasn't hungry every time...and she doesn't usually wake up unless she is...but during one of those five interruptions I was nursing her, and her little head felt hot against my arm...I took her to bed with us and took her temp. Almost 101 degrees, it said. So I called the all night nurse, who wasn't a nurse, but an answering service, who had a very groggy, but very nice, doctor call me back with some sound, albeit a little vague, advice. "Take two squirts of baby Tylenol and then call me in the morning." something along those lines.
Thursday we went to Marilyn's house to baby-sit her two kiddoes...she was very very tired...sleepy after only an hour of being up. She wouldn't fall asleep in the crib, but for the first time since she was oh so little, she fell asleep in my arms...for an hour and a half!!! She was practically burning a hole through my arm. If it weren't that I could tell she was absolutely miserable, I would have really enjoyed cuddling her! She never lets me cradle hold her!
She woke up only on occasion...her beautiful eyes were glassy and droopy; she would shut them again and tears would squeeze out the corners...she was so lethargic, limp and hot, that I was getting very anxious to get her home and take care of her properly.
I was taking her temp. just as Marilyn got home at 3:45pm...103 degrees!!! I felt bad putting a coat on her to take her from the house to the car, but if I hadn't she may have gotten the chills just from the transport (still pretty cold here at the time). Got home, called the ped. office..."take two squirts of Tylenol and call me in the morning." Okay, it wasn't exactly that (they also said I could use baby motrin)...those nurses are actually very very helpful and a super big blessing when you just don't know what to do.
Aaron picked up some pedialite and we had to eye dropper it into her mouth because she wouldn't nurse, eat or drink...and then he helped me get into the bathtub with her.
We took a tepid bath (just warm enough to keep her from getting cold), and that will actually work as a temp. regulater. It draws out the temp., as it were...to meet the temp. of the water...or something like that. Truly!...try it with frozen meat...it will thaw faster than putting it in hot water. ...sure sure microwaves work too....but not on Aloria.

After a couple of hours her temp went back down to 100...she woke up between 8 and 9 pm hungry...and after she nursed, she looked up and smiled at me! You have no idea how wonderful that smile was! It is sooo awful to see that little person you love, so lifeless, helpless, and unable to tell you what is wrong, or how you can make them comfortable. It pulled at every part of my heart to see her that way...!
As, I was saying, she was ready to smile again...and ready to play. After sleeping most of the day, she was pretty alert and so I set her on the floor with some toys for a little while. She got wiped out again pretty fast, and was soon ready for bed again.
Friday, I took her to the ped. office before going to baby-sit. She was poked and prodded and given the okay...other than the cold (no ear infections, lung fluid, wheezing, or RSV, which is when they have an extreme case of not breathing well)... She hung out at 99 for the rest of the day...woke up in the morning having sweat out her jammies. Her fever had finally broken! Hurray!
She hasn't developed the cough or runny nose the doc said she might...Aaron and I took care of that for her...Aaron with the cough and me with the runny nose.

So Saturday and Sunday she was right as rain. ...except for the whole being used to special treatment...she seemed to think she still needed that part...it took a couple of days for her to get used to not being held all day and to going to sleep in bed without being coddled first. Silly baby! Princess treatment is temporary...and after all this, mommy needs a nap!

No comments: