Monday, February 25, 2008

Nix on the Nursery

Aloria picked up a really bad cold a while ago, which I think I mentioned...had a difficult time breathing for two plus nights. Well, I bring this up again because eventually she did get well...and then we went to church and put her in the nursery. The next day she got sick all over again, stuffy runny nose, couldn't breath again...it was awful.
...so, although I know that I can't keep her locked in the house, I can keep her away from the nursery that seems to breed illness...at least until all of this sick weather passes. We decided she needed to learn to sit still in church (at least quietly) anyway. The first Sunday, Aloria and Caleb found each other underneath the rows of chairs, made their way under a bunch of legs to the isle and made a run for it towards the stage. Our pastor stopped his sermon to announce the runaways, who were already being chased down by Caleb's dad and I. It was pretty cute, actually. Since then (at least two Sundays), she's been doing great, so we're good on that. But like I said, I couldn't keep her locked in the house, so we still had erronds to run, and the only one that I can think of that got her sick again was my monthly dr. visit. There are a lot of sick people that go into the dr. office...and the very next day, she woke up from her nap crying (almost like she was in pain)...really wierd, until she barfed all over our bed. Turns out her stomach was in pain, and so for the rest of the day she, and her 101 fever spent the day on a towel on the couch watching movies, and throwing up her pedialyte. It was a one day thing, thankfully...and she was eating spagetti by evening time. Then came the picture below. Picture perfect (even Ivy is smiling:-) haha) on her way to church.
I made the mistake of letting her play in the nursery while we at breakfast downstairs inbetween services (we have a cafe)...about 20 min. I complained about Aloria being sick every time I put her in there, to which the main nursery lady went on about how I couldn't keep her locked away and there wasn't anyone sick coming in and out (sure!). "No one is sick in here," she said in one breath ...and then in the next breath how her granddaughter was throwing up the day before, with diahrea...but no fever, so it must have been a fluke...you know. Then that very grandchild walked in. I made an excuse to leave with Aloria, as I was trying to fight off cringing at every toy Aloria picked up and handled. That same night, she came into our room...I let her come into bed with me for a minute, and then bleh! ...all over me! Today she had diahrea...but no fever, so you know. It must have been a funny coincidence...ooooorrrrr, the nursery toys need to be cleaned and kids who are sick shouldn't be allowed to come in. Geeeez! Maybe I am blowing things out of proportion, but she barely has a chance to build up her immunity before she gets sick again. She has been tired and lathargic and not eating as well as she usually does...it's hard on her body. ...but there is hope. Today was a fantastically beautful sunny 45 degree day, so hopefully sickness will be snowing somewhere else, and wellness is on the horizon :-)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh no! How sad is that! I don't take Maddox to the nursery if he was sick the day before and isn't now, that's just rude, they still carry little germies. Our nursery is so good, though and they clean every toy that is played with each Sunday. Germs don't seem to spread there very quickly. It also helps that Maddox is the only baby in there, too :-)

jacquelyn said...

that sounds terrible, we are so much alike, i would be just like you too. the only thing that really went around our nursery was a cold though. once she got out of there and into the toddler room she never came back with any colds... so nice. definitely dont take my kid to nursery if they were sick the day before i agree with emily.
i am sorry she has been stomach icky so much, i really feel for you.
good job with her being good in church... there is NO way that dahlia would do that without talkig the whole time.